Social media advertising has become an excellent way for businesses and brands to increase their online visibility. They can drive traffic to their website, and generally improve their sales. It’s important to understand how Facebook advertising in particular works. Considering this is a complex platform we are talking about, in the present article we will try to explain what Facebook ad campaign objectives are and why businesses use them.
A recent 2018 report reveals that 72% of marketers use Facebook ad campaigns already and 67% of them even have plans to increase their use of Facebook advertising in the next year. In order to maximize the impact of your social media ad campaigns, make sure you know how to choose the right Facebook ad campaign objectives.
What are Facebook ad campaign objectives?
When setting up a Facebook ad campaign, the first thing you have to do is choose an objective. Identifying the right objective for your ads is crucial. It will determine the success of your campaign and dictate the next settings you can access. At the same time, it will show how Facebook’s algorithm optimizes targeting for your ad.
Basically, Facebook ad campaign objectives represent what you desire viewers to do when they see your ad. The objective you choose can affect the type of traffic you generate and the profits of your ad campaign. When choosing an objective you’re essentially telling Facebook what results you are looking to achieve. You need to select an objective that aligns with your goals. This means that you can create the exact same campaign with different objectives and get different results after running it.
At the moment, there are 14 objectives to choose from, grouped into three categories: Awareness, Consideration, and Conversion.
- Boost your posts: increase engagement on your posts
- Promote your Page: get more fans for your Facebook page
- Reach people near your business: reach as many individuals as possible in your area
- Increase brand awareness: get your name in front as many people as possible
- Send people to your website: drive traffic to your official site or blog
- Get installs of your app: pretty self-explanatory
- Raise attendance at your event: get people to see and respond to an Event you have coming up
- Get video views: use this if you just want people to see your video ad and don’t need them to take any action
- Collect leads for your business: collect lead information, such as email addresses, from people interested in your business
- Increase conversions on your website: get more people to use your website
- Increase engagement in your app: get more people to use your app
- Get people to claim your offer: promote an Offer you have set up on your Facebook page
- Promote a product catalogue: promote a product catalogue to your target audience
- Get people to visit your stores: promote particular business locations
How to choose the right Facebook ad campaign objectives
As mentioned earlier, Facebook changes how it optimizes your ad campaigns based on the objectives you select. It’s paramount to get this step right. Each of the objectives is suited for different stages of your business goals. In the beginning, you may want to focus your advertising campaigns on building brand awareness and attracting new customers. But later on, you will want to drive people to your site and encourage them to make a purchase.
So how do you choose the right objective? The answer is pretty simple: to make sure the Facebook ad campaign objectives you choose for your ads are the right ones. Select the objective that is closest to your current advertising goal and aligns with the results you would like to achieve.
Use awareness objectives if you want to generate interest in your product or service. Select an objective under the consideration funnel if your goal is to get people to look for more information about your business. Use conversion objectives if you want to encourage people who are interested in your brand to purchase your products/services.
When building a social ad campaign is always a good idea to do some research beforehand and see what works for your competitors and what you could learn from them. A valuable tool that will help you spy on your competition and adequately improve your Facebook advertising campaigns is PowerAdSpy. This ad spy tool will allow you to browse through a database of over 6 million ads and filter them based on several criteria, such as keyword, location, advertiser, and even objective.
Seeing what your competitors’ goals are, based on their campaigns’ objectives, is very helpful. You can learn how to properly use Facebook ads with different objectives. This is because of different types of creative work best with certain objectives.
For example, Facebook image ads can be very effective with all objectives except for video views. They will help increase brand awareness, expand reach, grow engagement and encourage store visits. Video ads, on the other hand, are great for reaching more people and engaging your audience. Carousel ads, given that they offer the possibility to show up to 10 images with individual links, are excellent for driving traffic to your website and increase store visits.
There are a ton of things to consider when choosing Facebook ad campaign objectives. It’s important to keep in mind that selecting the appropriate objectives based on your goal for each campaign will automatically help optimize your ads and reach the right audience.